Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My Beautiful Daughter

Born in May 1973 during my Law School finals ( a matter of timing she would master as she grew older ) my baby Elizabeth is 35 years old . where did the years go ? How is it possible ? It seems to have happened much without my awareness . Yes I remember her early years , the first steps , driving her to Elementary school , birthday parties , and "spend the night" parties . I also remember her dating "the best looking guy in town " (her words - when the tall , skinny boy with funny ears had accepted her invitation to the Junior -Senior Prom ) . I recall the day she and I walked down the aisle together when she married Ty , that " best looking guy".Of course , I recall each of her three angels being born ...and how it seemed at Mattie's birth so strange and fearful to be witness to my baby having a baby . But , the truth is, there is so much that I don't remember . Either I was absent or so tied up in other less important things . I missed so much . This is how we are robbed of many wonderful things in life . We become so preoccupied by the tyranny of the urgent we are unaware or unable to attend to the those things truly important . Why does this fact become so apparent only after I have arrived at this "certain age "? I now know and have become fully aware of how short life is and that family and friends are at the core of what makes life worth living . I will today make the phone call or write the letter that for so long I could not find the time to complete . Wish that my Dad ,who so loved the phone I hated , was still around to receive it .

Remarkably , without my awareness , that little girl of mine grew into a fine woman , wife and Mother , has three beautiful children who call me " Grandfather"( music to my ears ) , and is so wise that she is "best friend" to everyone she knows . They all call her for advice . Of her I am full of love and am proud to say this is my beautiful Daughter . She makes me happy and every day is made better because she is in my life . I will never again be unaware .


3 comments:

elizabeth said...

Tears are flowing. Thanks for the sweet words, it's always nice to hear you're loved. I am so PROUD that you are a blogger! Go DAD!
Elizabeth

elizabeth said...

Oh, and I forgot....36. Yep, you lost another year. Hilarious. One more thing: HE still IS the best looking guy ever!

January said...

Oh wow. I am crying here too. What an amazing post. You are definitely blessed to have such a daughter- she is an amazing force in my life as well. But she is equally blessed- what a beautiful relationship you have. I am available for adoption at any time!! :)
By the way... you're way with words is stunning. I printed out this: "We become so preoccupied by the tyranny of the urgent we are unaware or unable to attend to the those things truly important ." it's already on the refrigerator.

You're relationship should be an inspiration to all fathers...

~January